Sweet as Honey
7:01 PMThis saying is hung in my mother's kitchen:
I certainly didn't pray that prayer today. It was one of those days that I just didn't need to speak. I am surely reminded of this when I hurt someone I love and care for. I feel extremely guilty right now because I wasn't thinking at all this afternoon. I hate it when anger takes control of the tongue. There are so many verses that I can reference from the Bible when it comes to the tongue. I will only name a few.
The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit. Proverbs 15:4
Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues. Proverbs 17:28
(I need to remember this next one...) Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity. Proverbs 21:23
James 3 talks about taming of the tongue:
Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.I think we underestimate the power of the tongue. The tongue is like a sword, and it can kill a person with its words. Unhealthy attitudes of anger, irritation, frustration, and impatience—even disappointment, stress, guilt, and insecurity—all contribute to our damaging speech. And as we cut with our words, we wound and divide friendships and relationships. We need to watch what we say. Gossip and slander are out, and words that hurt instead of heal are not welcome. Boasting, lying, and all the rest of the ways we use words to hurt and divide need to be gone as well. In their place, words that extend love and the healing power of forgiveness, mercy, and truth should rule our words and relationships.
When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?
To the person I have hurt today: I cannot make any excuses for what I have said and how I have hurt you with my words. I am sorry.
Lord, forgive me where I have faltered. Help me to guard what I say, even when I am angry. I want to use my tongue to extend love, forgiveness, mercy, and truth. Make my words as sweet as honey.


0 comments:
Post a Comment