Social Acceptance

We were created to be social.  We were not meant to be isolated from one another.  It amazes me, though, how often we get caught up in the fact that we want to be accepted in social circles.

Especially me.

I live off of human interaction.  I love being able to talk to people and to get to know them.  But do you know what my issue is?  They don't want to get to know me.  I don't often fit in with certain circles.  And sometimes, that hurts, especially after last night. 

I went to a Christmas party where I knew everyone, but I felt very alone.  I found myself standing around, alone, and just watching people.  It was slightly intimidating.  But I know a few friends from work would be proud of me that I did that, especially since they want me to go to a movie or a restaurant by myself, but that will have to be something I do and then write about it.  Anyway, I felt alone, and somewhat hating it that I was there.  There were a few times that I almost left, but I just kept saying to myself to stay because, "it would get better."  Well, it really didn't.  I mean, I wasn't crying in the corner or anything, but I wasn't exactly smiling the entire night either.  It wasn't anyone's fault, per say, but I knew right from the beginning that I didn't belong in this type of crowd.  It's nothing they did, but it does suck when you really don't have anyone to talk to throughout the night. 

So, what's my point of this rambling nonsense?  Well, as I am writing out my thoughts, I keep thinking about what Christ has said about social acceptance for Christians: There is none. 

Ouch.  A little harsh, eh?  But I don't think He could make it any more clear.  Christ has stated flat out that the world will hate you because of Him.

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.  If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own.  As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.  That is why the world hates you."  John 15:18-19

"Everyone will hate you because of me."  Luke 21:17

Hmm...so much for acceptance.  My issue is that I want to be accepted and loved, but I can't help but reread the previous verses that it's not going to happen, at least, from the world.  But, I know I am loved by Someone who will accept me as I am.

1 comments:

Jenn December 6, 2011 at 6:55 PM  

I think Tim Tebow is a celebrity example of that very Bible verse. Just a random thought. :)

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

I'm Popular!