V-Day



In one week, we are to celebrating a day of love.  Not to be cynical, but Valentine's Day can kinda kiss my butt.  Valentine's Day is the last holiday that I've been worried about when it has come to the winter festivities.  I've made it through Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve, my birthday, and now, it has come down to this.

I've been doing a lot of thinking and a lot of praying when it has come to V-Day.  It's been a struggle for me, considering that I've never really had a good Valentine's Day ever, of course with the exception as to elementary school when you were essentially forced to give everyone a Valentine's Day card.  See, I've been trying to get in to the mindset on what it could mean to me as a single woman.  I've been so focused upon the hurts of my past that I've been dreading this upcoming love-fest that I've forgotten what true love is about:  It's not about me.  When i am so focused upon myself, I forget what the Bible says about the meaning of true love: 

"Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails."

"There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for his friends."

Can we say, "Guilt trip?"  Yeop.  Why does it have to be about couples?  Is it not a choice to make it just about two people in love?  Can't Valentine's Day apply to all of us, one way or another?  Well, I sure am making that choice!  I am making the choice that Valentine's Day isn't about it.  It will be about showing the people around me the love that God has given to me.  It may be cheesy, but why not go back to the elementary school days where you had a Valentine's Day card to give to them?  Even in the simplest gesture of love, we can make an impact on someone's life. 

I think this will be my best Valentine's Day ever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

I'm Popular!